Thursday, March 13, 2008

Metaphor Poem

Did I Miss Anything?
Tom Wayman

Nothing. When we realized you weren’t here we sat with our hands folded on our desks in silence, for the full two hours
Everything. I gave an exam worth 40 percent of the grade for this term and assigned some reading due today on which I’m about to hand out a quiz worth 50 percent
Nothing. None of the content of this course has value or meaning take as many days off as you like:any activities we undertake as a class I assure you will not matter either to you or me and are without purpose
Everything. A few minutes after we began last time a shaft of light suddenly descended and an angel or other heavenly being appeared and revealed to us what each woman or man must do to attain divine wisdom in this life and the hereafter This is the last time the class will meet before we disperse to bring the good news to all people on earth.
Nothing. When you are not present how could something significant occur?
Everything. Contained in this classroom is a microcosm of human experience assembled for you to query and examine and ponder This is not the only place such an opportunity has been gathered
but it was one place
And you weren’t here.





2.The reason why I choosed this poem because to me the title looked interesting and it caught my interest so I read it. Thought when I started to read the poem I though that this sounds a little weird though I as kept on reading I caught to me that this poem was about the people of the world sharing there knowledge with other people and to make the world a better place. Though the only thing I didn't get was the title I think that the title might have been for that time goes so fast that people don't know what happened and I think that's why they said "Did I Miss Anything". Now I am thinking that the title might be for when children learn and learn and when they graduate they go on and share there knowledge with world and when time goes fast people say did I miss anything. Though what I don't get in the beginning of the poem is that I think it's kinda confusing to when some one hands out exams and then later On people don't seem to care. I was a little confused when I I figured that out. Though I think it means when you gain more and more knowledge it means that it's time to spread that knowledge with the world.



3. "Did I Miss Anything" I think that the title of the poem fits very well to what the poem is saying because when children gain more and more knowledge and when you are learning something time can go by very fast and or you are learning something and you are not paying attention and you can say something like "Did I Miss Anything" though I not sure I think that's what it means. The poem means that if you have an exame to study for or you haven't prepared for and you have been doing something that must of been fun. Though when time goes by and the day of the exame you might say that. Then later on in the poem it says that the no one really didn't care about the test or exam and to share what they have learned to the world.



4. I think that the poem and the writer of the poem didn't have a lot rhymes or anything like that. Though I think that the poem had some imagery and a lot of personification because in the poem they would use object to make it apart of the poem then they would add peoples feeling or something like that. I am not sure. It talks a lot about the exam and people learning more and more knowledge and sharing that with the world. That could or can be personification because they are talking about people learning and then sharing there knowledge with the world. In the begining they use some imagery and then during the middle they would use a lot of personification.

5 . The tone of the poem it me is happy or serious because a lot of people need to learn and know more about our world and what different kinds of religion and how peoples life styles are different from our own. I think that the writer used the tone successfully because to me in the begining the poem is very serious because of the exam and to study as much as possiable. Then as the poem goes on it gets more exctiting or what I would call relaxed because the childeren or people know as much as they ned to know and they are ready to share that to the people of the world. The writer of the poem created little feeling in the begining of the poem. Though as the poem went on it got more and more relaxed and then I think it got really happy because a lot of people want to learn more interestering things.

No comments: